Divorce or dissolution of your civil partnership

When deciding on a divorce settlement or dissolution of a civil partnership, the pension you’re receiving from the Scheme would normally be taken into account by the court. There are two ways that the court can deal with your pension entitlement after retiring:

  1. Your pension can be subject to a Pension Sharing Order, where a proportion of your pension is given to your ex-spouse or civil partner. Your pension at the date of the Pension Sharing Order is then reduced as a result.

  2. The capital value of your pension can be ‘offset’ against other financial assets, like the marital home.

You may request a Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV) for divorce purposes by contacting the Pensions Administration Team.

Please be aware…

CETVs, further information and putting a Pension Sharing Order in place will incur a charge under the Trustee’s Pension Sharing Schedule of Charges.